Monday, January 13, 2014

Playing Doctor

I've been thinking a lot about getting my doctorate lately. I've talked to a few people, been to a few "getting your Ph.D" workshops, and i see some of my friends working towards theirs (med school excluded because that's honestly a whole other beast). I don't think i'm ready just yet. In fact I know i'm not ready just yet. But its still heavy on my mind.

Everyone keeps telling me to just jump right in while im still young. Jump right in before you have "responsibilities" aka children and the overgrown child also known as a husband. Jump right in while going to school is still somewhat fresh.

But i'm not ready.

I actually did find a program that is 100% perfect for me. Except i don't qualify for it. And by the time i do qualify for it, i'll have to take the GRE again. And the GRE has changed since last i took it. I cannot put myself through that hell again.

And don't even get me started on how exactly i'm supposed to be financing this. I'm already drowning in a sea of student loan debt as it is.

Then I have to consider how having a doctorate with effect my job prospects. I am not trying to be President o! But i think it'd look kinda sketchy that someone with a Ph.D doesn't even want to be on the VP level. Or even the Director level sef. IDK man.

I wonder if anyone will say anything if i get a boom-boom doctorate from a boom-boom school. I really just want to be Dr. Lady Ngo anyway lol.

7 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. Lots of PhD gists been flying on this side of the world, but trying not to think about it. The thought of being Dr xoxo sounds good but the work ain't no pot of beanssss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!? Above everything else, i am not looking forward to the work lol. If someone could just drop the degree in my lap, that would be great.

      Delete
  2. Just do it .... live without regrets ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately its not that simple.

      Delete
  3. Decisions decisions decisions! I wish we could tell the future so we'd know what to do with the present. But life doesn't work that way so I wish you good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just see it as HARD! My friend's doing a PhD now and I don't envy her. I'm working towards getting an honorary doctorate :) That was I can be Dr T. without the hard work. Hehehee

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too