Monday, September 16, 2013

The Georgia Chronicles: Walking Tall

A couple of weeks ago I swung past the grocery store to pick up some nonsense. As I was walking down one aisle, I saw this lady struggling to reach something on the top shelf. As I approached her, I couldn’t keep the look of pity off of my face. The struggle is real. And I know there has been a time or two where that struggle was real for me too.

When I finally got close enough to her to see what she was trying to grab…smh. Not only was the item on the top shelf, but it was all the way at the back of the shelf. She gave me some puppy dog eyes and I sized her up. I said, ma’am we are like the same height. I know the struggle. I don’t even know if I’ll be any help lol. She replied back with a sad smile, yeah, I know.

The sad sound in her voice made me feel bad. So I put my stuff down on an empty space on a lower shelf, rolled up my metaphorical sleeves (this is Georgia in August, I certainly wasn’t wearing long sleeves for real), and said let me see what I can do.

Whilst standing on my tippy-toes and with a slight out-stretching of my arm, I was able to reach the illusive item. I don’t even remember what it was now lol. I’m pretty sure we were in the cookie aisle so it had to have been some cookies or crackers. But I digress. The lady’s eyes practically lit up when I handed her the box. She thanked me and went on about her way, I picked up my items and did the same.

Moral of the story: you never know what you can do until you try.
Second moral of the story: it doesn’t hurt to be nice to people.
Third moral of the story: I’m not short!

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. Gurl please! Short is as short does. If you were tall, there would be no involvement of the tippy toes. But get your 'good Samaritan' on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, i never said i was tall. Just that i'm not short! lol

      Delete
  2. Awwww. God bless you for helping out. Indeed you never know what you are capable of till you try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing the things we can achieve when we put our minds (and bodies) to it :)

      Delete
  3. :).. Who said you are short?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too