Thursday, July 11, 2013

I've never been to a wedding

...is a comment i've been hearing quite a lot lately. And its just crazy to me. Like, how is it possible that you've never been to a wedding? Its one thing when we were like teens (or younger)- even though by the time i was a teenager i had been to and/or in at least 3 or 4. But at this age..."marrying age". How is it even possible?

I was talking to my friend and he was telling me that he has only been to a wedding once, and that was when he was a little kid. He said the only people he knows that are married are his parents (and other older relatives). Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. In my world, people are tying the knot left right and center. I can't take 2 steps without hearing about somebody getting engaged. I read all the time about how people aren't marriage-minded anymore, and the alleged epidemic of unmarried black women who have no prospects...but i've always disregarded it because i've spent a small fortune on wedding gifts, bridesmaid dresses, and travel arrangements in the past 3 years, not to talk of all the weddings i didn't go to but knew of.

IDK man. Is it just me? Is there anyone else out there who hasn't (or knows people who haven't) been to a wedding before? Cuz its just super strange to me.

10 comments:

  1. The one i've heard is people not being a fan of weddings but to actually never been to a wedding? That's just somehow

    ReplyDelete
  2. never been to a wedding??? wow.... Your friend (who I assume is of marrying age) needs to make more friends his age lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, i gave him a far harsher recommendation but in the interest of maintaining my "nice girl" image, i won't share what it was here lol.

      Delete
    2. hahahahaha now I'm curious.

      Delete
  3. That wouldnt be too hard if your friend is not African or of some other culture that expect weddings at a certain age. I can understand that if they where white or african American.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm every bit as african american (probably moreso) as i am african and i've been to a bajillion weddings in my lifetime. Everybody gets married. And we're knocking on 30...it'd be strange in any ethnicity to have not been to at least 2 weddings by now lol

      Delete
  4. I've never heard anyone say they've never been to a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idk girl. I've been hearing it so much lately from all over the place. I love weddings. So long as i can afford it, i'll be there. Even if i don't like the bride or groom lol.

      Delete
  5. Some people just don't like weddings, or don't have loads of friends who have weddings when or where one can attend. Personally fall in the latter category.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too