Monday, July 1, 2013

I've always wondered

why Reggae (and most of the genres therein) are so much more widely accepted than Afropop (including Afrobeat, soukous, coupe decale, etc). I mean, to my ear, they are both on the same level. I honestly don't see how you could like one and not the other. Language difference aside, there are a helluva lot of similarities. Yet Reggae gets its own section while Afropop is lumped into World Music. I must admit though, the african stations on Pandora have improved tremendously in the past year. I don't know what to attribute that to. Imagine my surprise when i typed in WizKid and something actually popped up. A year ago, the only thing that came up was Wiz Khalifa lol.

This, to me at least, is a subset of a larger issue of "foreign black acceptability". I just made that up (i think), don't let me catch you using it anywhere else! In the US at least, if you say you're from the Caribbean, its not a big deal. but good heavens, say you're from anywhere in Africa and you might as well have said you were from one Saturn's moons. If i had gone the sociology route, this certainly would have been in my thesis/dissertation as it has been a topic that has interested me for a long time.

I wonder if anyone has ever done any research on this. I'm off to Google Scholar to see if anyone has.

Welcome to July, the second half of 2013 has begun :)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...definitely true that Reggae is more widely accepted however I don`t think they sound similar. I'm a huge fan of Afrobeat, but indifferent to reggae (there are a few exceptions).

    In my experience with "foreign black acceptability", Caribbean culture is more widely accepted because when people think Caribbean, they think beaches, parties and weed. Whereas, Africa will usually evoke images of poverty and suffering. Most people want to party it up with weed.

    Ok, thanks for bringing it up. Now, I want to blog about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they sound similar...well a lil but i meant that they are on equal playing fields. To me at least.

    I agree with you about the perception of the Caribbean vs Africa too. I assumed that was one of the major reasons.

    Blog away. I live to inspire lol

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too