Friday, May 24, 2013

All Black Everything

Nah, this isn't a Jay-Z related post. Disclaimer (you know its serious when the disclaimer comes before the post): this whole post is seriously me randomly rambling. My bad guys. Its 1am. I did my best lol.


I have always wondered what it would be like if i had been born and raised in Nigeria instead of the US. Not even because its Nigeria...my Father's Land (literally and figuratively), but because its a black country. Full of black people, run by black people (regardless of how incompetent some have proven themselves to be). Where you don't have to deal with the nonsense that the 2520s love to provide...or at least don't have to deal with it as often.

I've often wondered what it would have been like to go to an HBCU (historically black college/university) as well. ever since grad school i've been completely enamored with them. I'd venture to say that 90% of all the research projects i did during my masters program had something to do with HBCUs. And when they didn't specifically, i still found a way to tie them in somehow lol. Although i didn't attend one, I did get accepted into Hampton University and Xavier University of Louisiana. I actually had my mind set on Xavier but the grace of God changed my mind and my heart and I ended up in sunny Florida instead. I say its the grace of God because 1- I was seriously planning on going there, 2- i started college the last week of August in 2005 and if i had ended up at Xavier, i probably would have been swept away by Hurricane Katrina!

I did have the advantage (i guess you could call it that) of going to a majority black school district for 2nd grade through high school graduation. Part of me wants my kids (if i have any) to have that experience as well. But man, the culture shock of going from a black high school to a white university was immense. So maybe i'll push them into being Morehouse Men/Spelman Women too lol.

I have no clue where i was going with this but i'm getting sleepy. Thanks for taking the ride. Hope you have a good weekend and Happy Memorial Day if i don't blog again before Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. You know what Trinidad James said about "dem college guhs from Spellman"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, i don't know nothing bout no Trinidad James lol

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts too