Monday, January 28, 2013

Hunger Games: Battle of the Last Puff Puff

As some of you may know, last weekend i attended my friend Amaka's wedding reception. Well i made 2 very serious mistakes-

  1. I showed up on time
  2. I showed up on an empty stomach
So needless to say, by the time the show got on the road my stomach was doing Azonto. Fortunately for me, it was at that time that a tray of snacks (chin chin and puff puff 2 of my faves) made its way to my table. But no one was making a move on them. And I certainly wasn't going to make a spectacle of myself in front of all those strangers seated with me by doing a nose-dive into the plate. So i waited. The longer i waited, the more active my tummy became. Around the time that the Kola Nut was being distributed and broken, my tummy was doing Alingo and i couldn't help myself any longer. So i turn my attention to the plate of snacks and to my great surprise a lil cutie muffin by the name of Toby had eaten almost every last piece of puff puff on that plate! See disappointment! 


Instead i was left with the option of snacking on the chin chin (which he was also eating, but much less ravenously) When i bit down into that chin chin, the shooting pain in my tooth let me know that wasn't a good idea. So i began to plot. The unrelenting somersaults my tummy was doing had hijacked my brain...i had to figure out how to get that puff puff away from this lil boy. My opportunity came when he scampered off to do whatever it is 3-year-olds do when they run away from adults. At that moment, i pounced. That last piece of puff puff had my name written alllllllll over it!


And wouldn't you know it, as soon as i bit into that delectable morsel, Toby returned. With a look of sheer anger, confusion and disappointment...he turned to us and shouted where's the puff puff! My friends, i will be completely honest with you: fear catch me o! That little boy looked like he meant business about finding out where the puff puff went. You should have seen as i tried to conceal my chipmunk cheek full of puff puff and the remaining piece that was in my hand. SMH. Luckily after some accusatory stares, he was pacified with devouring the rest of the chin chin that was left and we walked away as unlikely friends :)

Other stuff:

  • I saw Nenyewa (of The Sweet Bitter Life of an Igbo Princess), her hubby, and baby Mmeso, whom i can confirm is just as adorable in real life as she is in pictures :)
  • I saw some guy stumbling onto the dance floor with a bottle of Verdi Spumante in his hand...as if this was a nightclub and that was a bottle of Cristal. My friend...take several seats ---> \_
  • Osondi Owendi has been stuck in my head for the past week because of this reception.
  • And of course, i'm beyond overjoyed for my hunny bunny Amaka and her groom :)

17 comments:

  1. Lol...do you want puff puff for valentine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's the offer on the table, then i'll gladly accept.

      Delete
  2. You met Nenye, cool! Laughing at the way you described that boy at finding his snacks gone. Godfather sturvs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Amaka is her sister, it'd be weird if she weren't there lol. Its not the first time tho, just been long since our paths crossed before. The kid was soooooooooooo serious about that food lol. It really was hilarious

      Delete
  3. Lady Ngo o! You won't kill me ! I am at work laughing loudly @ lil'terror looking for his puff-puff and you trying desperately to hide your cheeks. Great start to my week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha You got me laughing hard! Thanks alot dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh my,I laughed so much reading this!
    On seeing the title I tot it was a movie review initially ℓ☺ℓ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally imagine a nollywood movie with that as the title lol.

      Delete
  6. Lmaoo. Now i'm craving puff puff :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of puff-puff, my Mum makes sure I get that 5 times in a week non-stop. That only makes me hate moving away from home. Now, don't call me Mummy's boy joor. I really like the way you described the tension with the puff-puff at the reception and the 3-year old boy, you got me laughing there. Lol

    http://www.josephomotayo.blogspot.com/2013/01/opening-late-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol! too funny!!
    Lucky you to have escaped embarrassment from the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lmho @ your puff puff stunt. Note to self: Never go to a party on an empty stomach

    ReplyDelete
  10. Te-he-he. It's very familiar, that feeling of not wanting to be the first to reach for food or drink first when it comes to your table. And sometimes we pay dearly for giving in to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol :) thanks for your compliments; I'm glad you had plenty to eat and had a wonderful time at my sister's reception

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too