Saturday, April 28, 2012

What Lies Ahead

Its the end of the semester. I'm done with classes. These annoying ass residents are packing their stuff and moving out. My contract is nearly complete at work which means soon (aside from classes and having weekly mini-meltdowns as i study for my comprehensive exams) i'll have some time to relax without having to worry about duty, or meetings or RAs or deadlines or projects. But as my graduate career is coming to an end and i start looking for jobs out in the real world, that nervousness that i felt before is starting to creep back up on me.

So like i said, i'm looking for a job. My first job as a "professional" in my field. I'd be lying if i didn't say the whole situation has me scared out of my wits. What if i can't find a job? What if i do find a job and i realize i hate it? What if I do find a job but it doesn't pay enough to sustain me? What if i can only find a job a million miles away?

Then there are the lifetime what ifs...do i want to be a "lifer" (stay in the same job or at the same institution until its time to retire)? What of my spouse...student affairs is a "move up and move out" profession, most people don't stay in any position or at any institution for too long...how will that effect my familial life?

Obviously i can't let all those 'what ifs' stop me cuz i still very much so need to find gainful employment since those student loan people won't get off my back. But it is just so nerve-wracking. And i don't want to make the wrong decision. I can totally see myself jumping at the first job offer i receive (God willing) just out of excitement and apprehension about whether or not i'll receive another if i pass that one up. With that in mind i have been trying to only apply to jobs that i know i really REALLY want.

But lets not put the cart before the horse. I need to freaking pass this last class and my exams so i can graduate first.

Prayers, well-wishes, hugs and kisses are welcome cuz i definitely feel like one day my head is just going to explode!

12 comments:

  1. A thousand tight hugs are being shipped to you right this minute. You can use some & save up for later. Brick by brick, you'll be fine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. I'll be sure to ration out the hugs so i don't run out lol

      Delete
  2. Hey LadyNgo,
    Two years ago after i first graduated and I found a job, I didn't go with the first one that offered me a job but, I went with the one that offered the most money. I wish I would have went with my gut, which told me not to take it. My advice is to go with your gut, If it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't. I wish you all the best.
    Always,
    Tarah and the City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luv :) I really do appreciate it

      Delete
  3. Finished all my exams and I am officialy done with Undergrad. Now I'm faced with not knowing what to do with myself lol.

    My advice is do what makes you happy.. that way you will never have regrets or thoughts of What if...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I knew i could count on Adede to have my back!

      Delete
  5. Blessings.....
    Keep your head up, you will do fine. Just remember its not just about them liking you, its about you liking them. As they interview you, you also get the opportunity to interview them to see if they are a good fit, to see where the company/institution is going-future outlook, advancement opportunity, professional development opportunities, benefit etc. Its not a one way street by a long shot, keep that in mind and all will be well. You will do just fine.

    stay blessed.
    Rhapsody
    https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
    http://www.shelfari.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of advice. i promise they did not fall on deaf ears :)

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts too