Monday, April 23, 2012

Adventures in Gele Tying and other mischief

*WARNING* somewhat of a long post ahead

So as you might remember, tying a seriously epic, traffic-stopping perfect gele has been on my bucket-list for a while now. The first time i tied one (many years back), that shit was perfect. I mean PER-FECT. To this day, i do not know why i didn't take a picture. I guess i assumed that if i could tie it perfectly on the first go round, it would only get better as i continued.

Sadly that was not the case. I mentioned I was going to one big African soiree. Well this weekend was it. I got a new outfit (clearly i either don't know how to measure myself or my weight is shifting cuz the thing was huge on me- but thats not the point), went rumaging for some heels, managed to pull an afterparty outfit together...but that damn gele! It just would not cooperate. SMH. for so long i was fussing and fighting with that thing. At one point i said screw this, i'm not even going anymore if this thing does not decide to act right!


Well after lots of time, energy, blood, sweat, tears and frustration, i managed to tie something...definitely not anywhere near as stunning as i had hoped but since i had not done my hair, something needed to cover it. And here we go....

Sigh...if nothing else, i've learned the art of patience from this experience. I mean, the thing did not turn out that bad i got tons of compliments on my "look". Apparently i looked very "regal" but i think its cuz not that many other people rocked trad/native so there wasn't much to compare me to.

Anywho, on to my other mischief.

Shouts to those people who have been dabbling in my life outside of blogsville- whether its twitter, fb, skype, IM, phone- i appreciate you o!

I saw one very fine guy at that event. I had not seen him in a loooooong time. I swear i must've hugged him for like 10 minutes lol. I was just so happy to be seeing him again. He's such cool people.

The after party, na wa oh. Oh, this waist, hips and ass of mine...too much trouble lol. Clearly, i don't get out often enough because i was acting a straight up fool that night lol. Awesome times were definitely had. Suffice it to say there were a number of times throughout the party that i had an audience. What can i say, i love to dance!
speaking of dancing...there is a video of me *JOKINGLY* doing that damn azonto floating around the internet lol. Nope, i will not be posting it or giving any hints on where to find it!

At one point in the evening, i was dancing with one guy. Then another guy came up behind me and started doing whatever. Then the original guy tapped out and this other equally sexy guy tagged in...it was very weird.  It literally was like a game of musical chairs (my homegirl called it a game of "musical Jen" lol) But i was already tipsy so i just went with the flow.

I have A LOT of sexy guy friends. Geez


My friend insists that me and this dude should get married. She said we look cute together and we're both Igbo (because of course thats all that matters) lol. Well my mom likes him so that's already like a million points in his favor, not to mention the bajillion shout outs he gave me during the show and the after party. (before you jump to any conclusions, no, we are in no way shape form or fashion on any type of dating/relating/marriage track! we're just friends)

Liquor definitely has a way of just sneaking up on me. My head was POUNDING by the end of the night. I didn't think i drank that much but i guess i was wrong. But all the same, thank goodness for generous friends with generous wallets. Me, pay for my own drinks? #NeverThat

If you read the 2nd  installment of "the people i meet" you will remember me talking about iyawo mi...well i got to see her (and her adorable niece) this weekend as well. Perfect timing too because in less than 2 weeks she'll be off to medical school and the Lord only knows when the next time i'll see her will be (it actually is supposed to be December 2012 in Ajah, but we'll see how that goes).


So there you have it. My weekend, in a nutshell. Theres so much more but i dont feel like typing anymore lol. Hope you all had great weekends too!

12 comments:

  1. The gele makes sense, looks like a Louis Vuitton product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and after giving me such a hard time about my lazy pronunciation...look how it turned out :P

      Delete
  2. I kinda agree,you guys look good together,plus,you're both Igbo.And not forgetting your body likes him too (i mean he got like 50 hugs....ok 10).lol

    Your igele tying skill is quite cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've already talked so i will just let this go...

      as for the gele tying skills, trust me it was dumb luck lol. no skill involved.

      Delete
  3. Hey, it's not that bad at all. I honestly was expecting some epic disaster. i'm prouda you :D

    I know you said not to but i'm diving into conclusion and saying: just friends eh? Marry him jor! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, the first like 20 times i tried were EPIC disasters. I think i just had too much fabric, i ended up cutting it twice before i got to this point.

      Stop it jo, the guy is just my friend. and unless there's something majorly going on that i don't know about there are no wedding plans for us (though i will admit that we do look good together in that picture lol)

      Delete
  4. You look like a couple already in the picture, and are you both single? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i am, i don't know that he is...

      Delete
  5. The gele looks nice, did it remain that good after all the azonto and 'musical Jen' that it endured?

    Just like Toin I will dive too, Best to marry your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took it off before i went for the "party" part of the evening. Just sitting through the event the thing as getting knocked about with all the hugs and what have you. Its still sitting in the backseat of my car half tied lol.

      LOL, as for the guy. well it would probably help if he asked first lol. I swear you guys are jumping over all kinds of important steps in the process.

      Delete
  6. And you shall remain friends until the first kiss :)
    Gele seems well tied though, even though I do not know anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (-____-) forget that guy, you know ur the only man for me!!!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts too