Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Today

Thanks for all the well wishes folks :) I ♥ you guys!

Yesterday was anti-productive. My boss sent me home from work because they said they don't want my germs lol. So much for an inclusive environment!!! But instead of getting some rest, I spent the day getting work done and eventually heading over to my internship site for next semester to get some paperwork done. I did end up buying some allergy medicine. It took a while to kick in but it seems to be doing the trick so i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that its allergies rather than a cold. Thank goodness for that cuz that i means i can go back to work (who says things like this?!?).

Anywho, everyone else around blogsville is talking about love and stuff...i was gonna talk too but i don't feel like it anymore lol. So i'll just hash up a post i was working on a while back.

You'll recall that some time ago i did a couple of posts about "old hollywood" here and here. As expected, someone (anonymously) commented about the fact that I didn't highlight "old black hollywood". I knew someone would! And in response i say...yes we were there but lets not pretend like we were appreciated and celebrated. Hell, its 2011 (the so called post-racial era) and we still can't get a break. But i will pay homage to some of the folks that helped pave the way:
The one and only Billy Dee Williams...now THAT is a smooth operator!


The gorgeous Dorothy Dandridge

"Catwoman" Eartha Kitt...purrrrrrrrrrrrr

Harry Belafonte

Hattie McDaniel: The 1st African American actress to win an Oscar
In response to the criticism she got for playing the "Mammy" role in Gone With The Wind, she said: "Why should I complain about making $700 a week playing a maid? If I didn't, I'd be making $7 a week being one."
Sidney Poitier: The 1st African American (well he's Bahamian) Actor to win an Oscar
In the search for pics i found this page, their acknowledgement of Black Actors/Actress is amazing and extremely inclusive. I def saw my boo-luv Djimon Honsou on there and Chiwetel Ejiofor as well. I invite you to check it out.

4 comments:

  1. Awwww sweetie! rid yourself of the germs asap! *hugs* LMAO at 'inclusive environment'.... Oh wow i loved the link you attached to the post! Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice save! It's good to know you're better and it's ok to miss work.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are lots better now.
    You know when I look at them old movies, both black and white I'm amazed at what passes for handsomeness in those days. These guys wouldnt be considered 'hawt' today. So too Cary Grant!

    Mammy used to scare me as a child. She was so big and fat...but her voice still echoes in my head :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too