Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11: Never Forget

I can't believe its been 10 years already. The day is still so fresh in my mind and im sure the minds of many others, especially my fellow New Yorkers. I remember it beginning as such a ho-hum day. Nothing out of the ordinary. I got up and went to school. It was the 2nd week of classes during my freshman year of high school. I was in my 2nd period class when the first plane hit. IDK how word spread so quickly. All i remember was hearing a lot of murmuring in the halls and a lot of confusion. I just brushed it off thinking it was the normal hustle and bustle of the hallways with kids being late or skipping class or roaming the hallway. By the time i got to my 3rd period class, there was more murmuring about a plane crashing into the twin towers. We still weren't positive about what was happening and all i could think was what kind of stupid pilot could crash into a building.

But then we realized, this was no accident. And the rest of the day was a blur of confusion, sadness, and chaos. Every classroom had the radio, a tv, or the internet going trying to figure out what was happening. I lived 30 miles away and even from that distance we could see the smoke from the burning towers in the distance. The whole thing was like a nightmare.

Perhaps the saddest thing of that day (aside from the obvious) that i will always remember was hearing our principal make the announcement for all of those who were not sure if there parents were going to make it home that night to stay after school and wait in the auditorium until they knew what was happening. Then seeing all those kids that were shuffling into the auditorium to wait and see. Heartbreaking doesn't even begin to describe it.

My prayers go out to the 3000+ victims that lost their lives that day in the towers, at the pentagon, in the planes, and the men and women that bravely went in trying to save people from the buildings. My prayers go out to the people who lost family and friends. And i thank God for the lives of those that survived including 3 of my family members:
My aunty who worked adjacent to world trade center plaza and usually cut through the lobby of the tower to get to her office...she was late to work that day.
My 2 cousins that worked in the pentagon.

We Will NEVER Forget!

1 comment:

  1. This always gets me teary-eyed! 9/11 victims wil never be forgotten

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too