Friday, July 22, 2011

Damn fraudsters

I don't know why, but all of a sudden i've been getting hit with a barrage of fraud emails. Its been a while since i've gotten these (excluding uk lottery and other just send me your info emails) so im wondering if i have somehow done something that has caused this.

Anywho, i got one email from a "Agnes Ahaiwe" begging for one thing or another- i didn't even really read it. But since it was an email i hadn't seen before i just did a quick search on the name to see how popular this particular email was lol. Im inquisitive like that.

Receiving that had me thinking about the first time i ever got hit with one of these types of emails. It was in Fall of 2005 when i had just started college. Strangelly enough, it was around the same time that we were discussing "phishing emails" and scams in my english comp class. The funny thing about it was that 2 of the first emails that I ever got were allegedly from relatives of mine. One was from someone using the name of one of  my cousins who was a banker and the other was from someone using the identity of my (at the time) recently deceased uncle who happened to be a pretty well known lawyer in the community. Hot-muthaeffing-mess! Talk about irony. Here i am getting fake emails from people impersonating my actual relatives lol. Part of me wanted to write back and curse them out (i don't want people associating my family name with 419) but another part of me was truly amused. So i just let it go.

Sidenote: today is the last day of my internship :) HELLOOOOOO Freedom for the rest of the summer (well for the next 30 days)!!!

11 comments:

  1. LMAO....I once got one of such and sent a really caustic reply. The gall of some people. It even makes me madder when they make no attempt wahtsoever to be intelligent about it at all!


    HoneyDame
    honeydame1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont read email from people i dont know
    span or scam mails are a menace we just have to deal with

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL
    You must be really popular. Are you sure you havent won the lottery or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! I remember when I was trying to rent an apartment in another city for the summer, this yeye dude was trying to scam me all the way from Naija. I couldn`t believe the dude thought someone would fall for that cheap scam.
    Last summer was when I had too many scam mails, even on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Googlemail seems really good with these kind of emails so unless I check my spam, I rarely see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see you have not gotten fraud mails with your name itself... the fraud mails are just too stupid, yet you wonder how some idiots fall for this crap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get Those mails too,i wonder how they get my email,anyway i just hit the delete button when i see `em..Welcome to FreeDOM :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting...I find my yahoo account so chock-ful of bogus 419 emails that I don't even check it anymore. My main personal gmail account weeds out all the spam but my other gmail account that I use as an alternative to work correspondences also occasionally gets spam. My paranoia means I almost never open suspicious emails. I send them straight to trash...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ..always in my spam, simply delete...that name looks familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a mail from the Ban Ki-Moon's secretary recently about some repatriation money owed my company. I was chuffed to bits. Only i didnt have a company. But the letter was actually well written this time and half believable. I am half-tempted to.....

    Congrats on finishing your internship. How the days fly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been getting a lot of those lately as well...wonder what's up with that. I use gmail btw, had to quit Yahoo a couple of years ago and glad I did lmao.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts too