- I've finally found a practicum site for the summer (actually 2, but we'll see how that works out). Im hoping all goes well with that. My biggest concern is going to be my complete lack of funds for summer since i won't be getting paid at either practicum site.
- In my Theories of Student Development class, we were discussing racial identity theory. I found it so hard to take seriously because the theorist was Caucasian...and how is some white man and white lady going to tell me about being black lol. There are 2 black people in the class (including me) so after we were done reviewing the theory, the professor asked our opinions on it lol. Part of me knew that was coming but another part of me didn't really expect her to ask lol. Either way, I told her that I didn't buy too much into the theory because what (most) scholars in the field of sociology/psychology/counseling etc- particularly those that aren't black- fail to realize that there is NO single black experience. There are too many different kinds of black people to ever be able to say anything is 100% black (without further classifying it as african- and even that is misleading, Caribbean, Af-Am, etc). I also stated that coming from two different "black" backgrounds (african-american and nigerian for those who don't know), i have other issues of racial/ethnic development to deal with for me to fit into that particular model.
- Yesterday I changed my facebook profile pic to that of one with me holding my friend's new baby. I got so many messages, calls, etc asking when had i become a mommy and why i hadn't told them and blah blah blah. OMG. I think i need to take that pic down lol. Its bad enough that in the past year I know over 10 people who have given birth, but add to that that everyone insists that I am next. These people are insane if they think I'm having a baby any time soon lol. Not only am I not partaking in the behaviors that would lead to pregnancy (if you catch my drift), but i am in no way ready to be anyone's mother.
- I am anxiously waiting for my mom to cut into that pineapple i just saw in the fridge. I can already taste it (yay for healthy snacks)
- I really need to learn to cook- or rather learn how to be patient enough to cook. My problem has always been that I cook when i'm hungry. So naturally the few minutes it takes to boil water alone feel like hours lol. You can imagine how my food often turns out. I'm surprised I've not had to get my stomach pumped yet for eating undercooked food lol. I do make some good stuff sometimes though.
- I feel like giving this blog a face lift but i don't know what I want to do with it yet...
Sidenote: Thanks to everyone thats following and/or commenting on the blog- i really appreciate ya :)